I love holiday cards – sending, receiving, and just the whole tradition. This year’s cards have now either reached their destinations, or they’re on their way, so I thought I’d go ahead and share them here.
(By the way, I think I said this last year, but it still holds true. If you didn’t get a card from me, it almost certainly means that I don’t have your address.)
I made quite a few of these two designs this year. At first, I started out with just the cards on the right (above photo), but I quickly figured out that reversing the colors would allow me to use up all of my “negative” die-cuts, as well as the positive. When making a whole lot of cards (especially when you intend to start them in June, but it’s November before you even have a plan, LOL), it speeds things up quite a bit if you can do them in stages. So…
I cut and scored all of my card-bases (standard 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″), and then cut out a mess of red rectangles and white rectangles (4″ x 5-1/4″). For the white pieces, I dry embossed some stars and swirls; for the red, I used a plaid pattern. With a combination of Simon Says Stamp’s Vented Star die, and a Sizzix star die, I cut out a bunch of star shapes, being careful to save all of the little “bits”. I also die-cut the same number of stars without the venting. The sentiments were heat-embossed on strips of paper, and a small Baker’s Twine bow was added to each strip.
a note about heat-embossing
On the red strips, the words were heat-embossed in white. On the white strips, though, I used red ink to stamp them, and then I stamped them again with VersaMark ink, coated them with clear embossing powder, and heat-set them. While the red words aren’t quite as “puffy” as the white ones, they are very nice and shiny – it’s a good trick when you don’t have the right embossing powder. And with a positioning tool (I used a MISTI), it’s easy to do. Because the powder dries clear, even if your VersaMark stamping is off a bit, it won’t be too noticeable.
the fun part
Once everything was cut and prepped, the fun began. I added adhesive to one side of all of the plain, unvented stars, and I adhered a vented star on top of it. This gave me a star with sticky strips where it was vented. Then, using a pair of tweezers, I carefully placed those teeny-tiny strips in the opposite color, filling all of the sticky gaps. I could have gotten a similar look by simply gluing the vented star to the opposite color, but I really like the “inlaid die look” you get with this technique. If you want to try this yourself, I recommend a good tape adhesive (liquid glue dries too quickly), a really good pair of tweezers, a comfortable chair, a nice warm beverage, and your favorite tunes. 🙂
Once all the parts were prepared, I put them all together, using foam adhesive for the sentiment strips and the stars. (Scotch foam tape works perfectly for the sentiments, but I found that the best way to add dimension to the stars was to die-cut more stars out of white foam, then run them through my Xyron for adhesive. Not necessary, but quicker and cleaner.)
Sending you all Warm Winter Wishes, and wishing you and yours a Merry & Bright Holiday Season! Thanks for stopping by!
Supplies (some affiliate links used – see here for full disclosure. If you make a purchase from these links, it won’t cost you any extra, but I will get a small commission, which will help keep this blog going. Thank you so much! SSS=Simon Says Stamp and AMZ=Amazon.com):