When I saw this stamp set from Lawn Fawn, I just knew I had to have it. I must confess that, while I don’t get all of the fads (what’s up with those mustaches?), I am pretty excited about mason jars. And I love fireflies. We didn’t have them in California growing up. (Well, there are some in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, but that probably doesn’t count. :-)). So now that I live in Ohio, I’m absolutely enchanted by them!
I actually set out to make a card with a jar full of fireflies… only I couldn’t do it. This will sound really silly, but, well, there’s clearly no holes in the lid of this mason jar, and those little lightning bugs would suffocate! I just had to take that lid off somehow… so I improvised a bit.
I started with the background. This was the first time I finally broke out my brayer. I wanted to get sort of a twilight look. It took me a couple of tries, and it’s still not as perfect as I’d like, but it’s close. I used a torn piece of scratch paper to mask off the sky, and then put some green ink on the brayer for grass. I trimmed, matted with black, and adhered to a blue card-base. (If you’re interested in this technique, I’d suggest going to YouTube and doing a search for “brayer” – you’ll find several great tutorials.)
The fireflies were stamped on white cardstock, and colored with Prismacolor pencils and OMS. These were all carefully cut out with scissors, and adhered to the card. (The two in the jar are flat on the card, but the other three are slightly raised with rolled up glue dots.) They were a bit challenging to cut out – I made extras for the ones I accidentally chopped the wings off of. And I didn’t even try to cut out the antennae (I’m not *that* good, LOL) – they were all hand-drawn later.
The jar… that’s where I had to experiment a bit. First, I wanted a clear jar, so I used some StazOn ink to stamp it on a piece of plastic. (Misc. tip: I save all the good, clean pieces of plastic packaging I get now – I’ve found a number of interesting uses for it, including this.) I cut off just the very top of the mason jar, leaving some of the “lid” to look like the mouth of the jar. Then, I stamped the lid on white cardstock, colored it with a silver Prismacolor pencil and OMS, and cut it out from the jar. It was adhered with foam adhesive. The jar was a little trickier to adhere. I ended up using a fine-tipped Zig glue pen, just along the very edges. If the light hits it right, there is a tad bit of smudged glue, but not much, and at least the middle of the jar is clean. The sentiment was heat-embossed and die-cut on a banner, then adhered with some foam adhesive.
This wasn’t my quickest card… and it wasn’t my first attempt to do a firefly jar card… but I think it came out okay. I have to tell you, though, I could not come up with an appropriate sentiment. In the end, I decided that, for some reason, fireflies remind me of fairy tales. I’ll come up with some sort of catchy saying to put on the inside, that will help to tie it altogether.
Wishing you all sunny summer days, and happy, firefly-filled summer nights. Thanks for stopping by!
Supplies used: Tim Holtz Tumbled Glass Distress Ink, Hero Arts Pool Shadow Ink, Memento Cottage Ivy dye ink, Lawn Fawn Summertime Charm clear stamp set, Simon Says Stamp’s Tilted Banners Sayings and matching die, Jet Black StazOn ink, VersaMark watermark ink, white American Crafts Zing embossing powder, Bazzill cardstock (blue and black), Georgia Pacific white cardstock, Prismacolor pencils and odorless mineral spirits.